South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service (MFS) Regional (Retained) Firefighters work part-time on-call. They are based at 17 regional fire stations spread across South Australia.
Regional (Retained) Firefighters are located in the following regional locations:
Yorke & Mid North Region
Riverland & Central Region
Limestone Coast Region
Far North & Eyre Region
For 24 hours a day, every day of the year, Regional (Retained) Firefighters protect the community from the effects of fire and a variety of other emergencies. Types of emergencies can include;
- structure fire & rural fires
- road crash rescue
- confined space rescue
- rope rescue
- urban search and rescue
- hazardous materials incidents.
The MFS is committed to employing Retained (Regional) Firefighters who will proudly serve the community. Regional (Retained) Firefighters must be committed to working as a team, in an environment that can be physically and psychologically challenging.
Firefighters may need to work in confined spaces or at heights, and must wear breathing apparatus or other protective clothing.
Regional (Retained) Firefighters should have the following characteristics:
- Motivation to serve the community in a way that is at all times helpful, ethical and professional
- Willingness to work within a diverse workforce, with people of different gender identities, background and cultures
- Competent literacy and numeracy skills
- Good communication skills
- Good physical strength and fitness
- Self-discipline to accept and carry out orders
- Initiative to complete tasks under minimum supervision
- Empathy and a caring approach towards people impacted by an emergency incident
- The physiological capacity to continue working in what may be unpleasant circumstances
- Self-awareness to identify psychological symptoms in themselves which may impact their work or personal life
As part of the role, you must be able to work with WH&S principles and use an electronic rostering system. You must have the ability to use current information technology, including software products such as the Microsoft Suite of products.
If you are successful in becoming a Regional (Retained) Firefighter with the MFS you will be contributing to the safety and welfare to those in your local community. There is also a tremendous sense of camaraderie, teamwork and achievement. Skills and training acquired may also be useful and transferrable to your current employment.
You must reside within ten (10) minutes from the MFS station for efficient response to incidents. The MFS will not cover any costs associated with fulfilling this requirement.
We highly recommend you read and analyse your ability to meet the criteria listed within the Regional (Retained) Firefighter Position Information Document (PID).
You should also consider if your experiences and skill sets are compatible with the PID requirements.
If you have any questions contact the number listed above for your region or email email@example.com.