The selection process is comprehensive and encompasses the following:
- Online application;
- Personality Profiling and Abilities Assessment (including numeracy and literacy tests). Click here for example questions;
- Physical Aptitude Test Stage 1(Shuttle Run/Beep test); click here for more details;
- Interview: click here for more detail;
- Physical Aptitude Test 2 (PAT2 - Multi-stage task simulation); click here for more detail;
- National Criminal History Record Check and Driver History Record Check;
- Medical examination; click here for more details.
This video demonstrates the Physical Aptitude Test Stage 1 and Physical Aptitude Test Stage 2 which are two components of the recruit selection process for the South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service.
Employment is offered initially for a six (6) month probationary period. This includes a recruit training course approximately four (4) months in duration, during which time the Recruit Firefighter is subject to regular assessments. Candidates who meet all the required competencies and standards at the completion of the probationary period will be permanently appointed.
Instruction during the recruit training period involves lectures and considerable practical sessions to familiarise the Recruit Firefighter with the equipment and procedures of the MFS. Physical training is regular. Further theory and practical training is a feature of employment.
Placement following successful completion of the Recruit Training Course may be to any MFS Station where full-time Firefighters are employed.