What if the car catches fire? Follow these simple steps.
- Stop the vehicle
- Turn off ignition
- Evacuate car, shut doors and keep area clear
- Call Fire Service or ensure someone else does
- If it is SAFE and you are confident:
- If LPG powered - turn off main supply valve (familiarise yourself with its location)
- If extinguisher available - attempt to extinguish fire with extreme caution
- If fire under bonnet - release bonnet catch only. Do not lift bonnet as rush of air could cause flare-up resulting in serious burns. Discharge contents of extinguisher through bonnet gap.
- If fire in cabin - then discharge contents of extinguisher into cabin directly on fire and close door.
Important - Smoke from burning plastics contains many toxic substances.
Avoid breathing smoke at all costs.
- When fire has been extinguished:
- Do not drive car until checked by auto electrician or qualified mechanic.
For further advice ring the Community Safety & Resilience Department 8204 3611, Country callers 1300 737 637
visit our website www.mfs.sa.gov.au
or call in to 99 Wakefield Street, Adelaide during business hours.